You may or may not know that I had quite the adventure last Saturday, and not in a good way.  It’s the kind of adventure most people would like to avoid.  It’s the type of adventure that ends up in the Emergency Room.

On the third Saturday of the month from May to October, the town of Veedersburg shuts down a part of Main St. and does a Cruise-In.  People bring in their restored and fancy cars and line the street.  Typically there’s a DJ or a live band that provides entertainment.

Last summer, Katie and I decided that we needed to do something because the Cruise-In was literally on the doorstep of the church.  So, we got a canopy and started grilling and selling hot dogs on the lawn in front of the church.  It’s been a good way to get our presence out in the community and let people know that there is a congregation that meets at the United Methodist Church.

This year, we are continuing to sell hot dogs and drinks, and we recently expanded our menu to include chips and candy as well.  We’re also giving away copies of the new CEB New Testament, and selling copies of the church’s cookbook, which just came out.  For the July Cruise-In, as Katie and I were getting things set up, it was time to put up the canopy.  It provides a little bit of shade and visibility for our “booth”.

Like most canopies, this one has those metal upside-down-L-shaped tent stakes.  I’ve stepped down on those things hundreds of times in my life, and never though twice about it… until Saturday night.

Let me preface this by saying that I think the weight-lifting exercises at the gym have been working, particularly the ones involving my leg strength.  Because, as I went to stomp down on the stake (again, like I have done hundreds of times before), the L-tip broke off, and a newly sharpened end went through my shoe and into my foot.

At first, I thought I had just hit the stake funny and my foot was going to be bruised, but as I tried to walk it off, I realize that I couldn’t put my foot down on the ground.  I could tell that Katie was starting to panic, and I told her to calm down, and that I thought the stake just got stuck in a groove on the bottom of my shoe.  She saw better than that though.

When I couldn’t pull the stake out of my shoe, because at that point I notice that it was actually embedded in the sole, I took my shoe off.  It was then that I saw that the stake had actually gone into my foot.  The blood soaking into my sock sort of gave that away.  At that point, I asked Katie to get me a chair, which was good timing because everything started to turn white, and I couldn’t hear anything.

As I sat there, unable to open my eyes because of the brightness of everything, and trying not to vomit, Katie called 911.  The local EMTs were there in no time, and I had finally started to regain my eyesight and hearing, but I was sweating quite a bit.  One of the EMTs said that I was a little “shocky”, but that I was going to be all right.  They patched up my foot and recommended that we go to the ER in Williamsport, which is a small hospital about 20 minutes away.  They offered to take me, but Katie was able to drive, so she took me instead.

By the time we got to the ER, my foot hurt, but it wasn’t in unbearable pain.  Katie got me a wheelchair and rolled me over to check in, and then went to park the car.  As she came back inside, she opened the door on her toe, and we would later find out that it was broken.  Not a good night for either of us.

They took some x-rays to ensure that there weren’t any metal fragments left in my foot (there weren’t) or that there wasn’t any structural damage (there wasn’t), and we were sent away with instructions to elevate it for a couple of days and take some antibiotics to ward off infection.  All in all, it could have been a lot worse than it was, so for that, I’m thankful.

I couldn’t really walk around much on Sunday morning, so I had a couple people lead worship.  I was still able to stand and preach at both services, but pretty much spent the next 48 hours sitting on the couch or in bed.

I’m very thankful for Katie.  She was a little freaked out, but she handled herself pretty well, and did a stellar job taking care of me – though, I realize, I’m not the type of person that likes somebody taking care of me.  I think I’m too self-reliant – a growing edge for sure.

And, just for funsies, here’s a couple of pictures of my shoe with the stake in it.